Sabres Upended by Lawrence on the Road, 2-1

Sabres Upended by Lawrence on the Road, 2-1

APPLETON, Wis. ( – Getting men on base wasn't a problem for the Marian University baseball team this afternoon, May 2. It was getting them in. The Sabres left 11 runners on base as the Lawrence University Vikings came away with the, 2-1, seven-inning non-conference victory at Whiting Field. Rain postponed the second game in what was originally scheduled as a doubleheader.

The Sabres outhit the Vikings, 9-6, in the contest, led by Cole Miklavcic's 3-for-3 performance. He added a walk in getting on base in all four plate appearances. Will Martin turned in a 2-for-4 effort as well. Five of Lawrence's six hits came from the top-three hitters in the lineup as Harris and Henriques each tallied a pair of hits. Harris scored the team's first run of the game, while the nine-hitter, Warshaw, accounted for the game-winner in the bottom of the sixth.

The Vikings improved to 10-21 overall with the win, while the Sabres dropped to 18-14 with the loss.

The Sabres cracked the scoreboard first when Miklavcic led off the game with an infield single to second base. After advancing to third on a wild pitch and groundout, Chad Langley made it 1-0 with another groundout to second base.

Ty Gellinger doubled down the left field line, but was stranded on the base paths.

Lawrence evened the score in its first at-bat when the leadoff hitter, Harris, also reached by way of an infield single. Henriques advanced him with a single to right before Benz's groundout allowed Harris to touch home plate.

The Sabres threatened in the second inning by loading the bases, but the starting pitcher, Doares, was able to escape the jam unscathed.

That would be his final inning as Shipanik came on in relief to throw the final five innings.

The Sabres would have little success against the new Viking hurler, but did put a runner on base in every inning except their last at-bat in the seventh.

Hunter Veness got the start for Marian and was very effective, going all six innings, while allowing just two runs on six hits. He also struck out four Vikings, while walking none.

He put together a dominating stretch where he retired 14-of-15 batters from the first through the fifth innings. In the decisive sixth frame, Warshaw led off with a single to left field and eventually scored on Benz's suicide squeeze bunt single to third.

Veness would retire the next two hitters to retire the side, but the Sabre offense went down in order in their half of the seventh to end the game.

Game two was slated to be a nine-inning game, but rain washed it out.

The Sabres will have a day of rest before heading to Concordia University Wisconsin for the Northern Athletics Conference finale at Kapco Park in Mequon Saturday, May 4. The Sabres need a win to clinch one of the final two spots in the NAC tournament. First pitch is slated for noon.